Post-graduate studies

This article is written according to the legal status current as of: 2020-06-16

What is it for?

This is a labour market instrument whose aim is to enable you to broaden your knowledge and gain new qualifications, which – in consequence – will increase your chances on the labour market.

Why is it worth applying for?

The district labour office may finance up to 100% of the documented costs of post-graduate studies, but the amount cannot exceed 300% of the average remuneration for work. The people with the status of a jobseeker are not eligible for the scholarship (see the current rates).

Who can apply for it?

You can apply for financing of the post-graduate studies if you register with the district labour office as a jobseeker who:

  • is working out your notice of the termination of the work contract or service contract for reasons related to the work place,
  • is employed by an employer who has been declared bankrupt or put into liquidation, except for liquidation aimed at privatization,
  • receives a welfare benefit granted to people on miner’s leave or miner’s welfare allowance, defined in separate provisions,
  • participates in an individual integration programme, referred to in the provisions on social welfare,
  • is a reserve soldier,
  • receives a training allowance,
  • receives a training pension,
  • is liable to social insurance for farmers as a household member or a spouse of a farmer and intends to undertake employment, other paid work or non-farming business activity,
  • is at least 45 years old and works on an employment contract, performs other paid work or runs a business,
  • is a foreigner who has a temporary residence and work permit granted in relation to the circumstances referred to in Article 144, Article 159 par.1, Article 160, Article 161, Article 186 par. 1 points 1, 2, 4, 5 or Article 187 of the Act on aliens or temporary residence permit referred to in Article 114 par. 1, Article 126 par. 1 or visa granted for the purpose of performing work on the territory on the Republic of Poland.

How long can you receive it?

You can receive the scholarship for the whole period of the post-graduate studies.

What should you do if you want the district labour office to finance your post-graduate studies?

If you are interested in this labour market instrument, you should submit the application form to the district labour office competent for your registered address. Additionally, you should attach the following documents:

  • a document that confirms that undertaking appropriate employment by you is probable (e.g. declaration of a future employer that he intends to employ you under the condition that you complete the post-graduate studies or a declaration that you plan to undertake a business activity after the post-graduate studies),
  • a document including the name of the course, dates and costs. 

After submitting all the required documents, the district governor will consider your application and – if the outcome is positive – you will sign a contract including:

  •  the name and dates of the post-graduate studies as well as the name and the address of the institution that organizes them,
  • the costs of the post-graduate studies (the money will be sent directly to the bank account of the institution),
  • a contractual obligation that you are to return the costs of the post-graduate studies if you fail to complete them, unless it is caused by undertaking employment, other paid work or staring a business.

Useful information

The participants of the post-graduate studies are eligible for the damages in case of an unfortunate accident that happens in connection with the post-graduate studies.

Legal basis
Act of 20 April 2004 on employment promotion and labour market institutions (Article 42a)

Development: Editorial team of Zielona Linia

Remember! All the materials posted on the portal www.zielonalinia.gov.pl have been drawn up by the editorial group and are for your information. The editors have put a considerable effort to make the provided information accurate and reliable. However, the information does not constitute a binding interpretation of the law.