EU blue card

This article is written according to the legal status current as of: 2020-06-16

EU Blue Card

(a temporary residence permit for work in highly skilled professions)

It is a special type of residence permit aimed at highly skilled professionals who intend to undertake a highly qualified job in Poland. If you want to have it granted you need to have an employment contract for a period of at least 1 year, high enough income and documents confirming your qualifications. The permit may be granted for a period not longer than 3 years. It is granted  for a period 3 months longer than the period of employment, however, it still cannot be longer than 3 years.

The permit is issued so that you could undertake a job for a particular employer and under certain conditions.  A change in working conditions within two years from the date of permit requires notification of the Office that issued it. It should be done within 15 days. If you want to change the employer you must obtain a new permit. If do not do not fulfill the above obligations it may result in the withdrawal of the permit.

If you apply for an EU blue card, you must submit:

  • an employment contract for a period of at least 1 year (optionally it may be a mandate contract or a contract for specific work),
  • qualifications and documents required in order to undertake a particular job in the case of regulated professions,
  • documents confirming that you have high professional qualifications,
  • health insurance as referred to in the provisions on public health insurance or a document confirming that the costs of medical treatment on the territory of Poland will be covered by an insurance company,
  • a permit to perform work or start a business if it is required.

The required remuneration amounts to at least 150% of the average monthly remuneration in Poland.

The employer is obliged to obtain information from the district labour office that there are no registered unemployed people willing to occupy such work position or recruitment to such position among people registered with the labour office brought negative results.

Provisions allow a foreigner to stay without work twice during the period for which the work permit was issued. However, periods of unemployment cannot be longer than 3 months each.

Temporary residence permit for workers delegated by a foreign employer to work on the territory of the Republic of Poland

It is a special type of permit aimed at foreign delegates who are to perform work on the territory of Poland. It may be granted to a foreigner who has a work permit (if required) or has the right to perform work in Poland without a work permit, or if a given type of work does not require a work permit.

It is only granted if a foreigner has a stable and steady source of income that enables him/her to cover the cost of stay of the foreigner and his/her dependants, in the amount  higher than the minimum income indicated in the act on social assistance.  It is also required that a foreigner has health insurance as referred to in the provisions on public health insurance or confirmation that an insurance company will cover the costs of treatment on the territory of Poland. Additionally, the foreigner is obliged to submit a document confirming that he/she has a place to stay in Poland. 

Legal basis

Act of 12 December 2013 on aliens (Articles 127-139)

Development: Editorial team of Zielona Linia

Remember! All the materials posted on the portal www.zielonalinia.gov.pl have been drawn up by the editorial group and are for your information. The editors have put a considerable effort to make the provided information accurate and reliable. However, the information does not constitute a binding interpretation of the law.