Eligibility for health benefits

This article is written according to the legal status current as of: 2020-01-13

If you lose employment or cease to be eligible for a pension for incapacity for work, maternity or childcare leave, you will stay insured for another 30 calendar days.

When are you subject to health insurance?

After this time – if you do not undertake employment, other paid work or if you are not insured by your spouse – you might pay the premiums yourself to the provincial branch of the National Health Insurance Fund (Polish NFZ). The information about current rates of premiums may be found on their website: http://www.nfz.gov.pl/new/index.php?katnr=2.

As soon as you register with the district labour office as an unemployed person, you are entitled to the health insurance and registered in the system of Patient Eligibility Electronic Verification (pl. eWUŚ). You will be eligible for health insurance for the entire period of registration.


If you are ill ask your doctor for sick leave with the NIP number of your Labour Office. If you lose the status of an unemployed person, you will remain insured for another 30 calendar days.

Remember that both in the case of voluntary and mandatory insurance, your insurance may cover your spouse, children (until they reach the age of 18 or, if they study, the age of 26) and your parents (if they stay in the same household with you).

Additional information:

  • You will not remain subject to health insurance after sickness allowance or rehabilitation benefit which are paid out once you lost your employment, as well as after you stop paying voluntary premiums to the National Health Insurance Fund.
  • Students of secondary schools retain the right to health care services financed from public funds for 6 months from the date of completion of study or being removed from the list of students, and students of universities retain the right for four months from the date of completion of education or deletion from the list of students.
  • If you receive a benefit granted under the provisions of sickness or accident insurance, or you are applying for a pension or disablement benefit, you are entitled to health care services.
  • If you are subject to farmer’s social insurance (Polish KRUS), you will stay insured for the period of 30 calendar days after you stop paying premiums.

Legal basis

The Act of 27 August 2004 on health care services financed from public funds (Article 67 para. 4)

Development: Editorial team od Zielona Linia 

Remember! All the materials posted on the portal www.zielonalinia.gov.pl have been drawn up by the editorial group and are for your information. The editors have put a considerable effort to make the provided information accurate and reliable. However, the information does not constitute a binding interpretation of the law.